Are Jade Plants Toxic to Cats and Dogs? Let’s Find Out!

Many people are wondering whether jade plants can be toxic to their pets. After all, they have been known to cause skin rashes and allergies in humans. Today we will explore the toxicity of jade plants for cats and dogs, as well as what you should do if your pet does ingest or come into contact with a jade plant.

We may earn an affiliate commission for purchases using our links at no added cost to you. Learn more.

What Are Jade Plants?

Jade plants are part of the Crassula family, which includes other popular succulents such as the jade tree and lucky plant. These plants have a thick trunk that is often made up of fleshy leaves on one side and spiny, green foliage on the opposite side.

The roots can also be very important to identify because they are often not visible. The plant is native to South Africa but has been naturalized around the world as an ornamental plant for gardens and patios. It does well when grown in warm, even climates.

There are two main types of jade plants, the Crassula Ovata and the Crassula Argentea, which can be differentiated by examining their leaves. The Ovata has fleshy, water-storing leaves with pointed tips while the Argentea has flexible wiry foliage that can grow up to 12 inches.

Signs of Jade Plant Poisoning

Most cases of jade plant poisoning in pets are accidental. They often involve a pet licking, chewing on, or ingesting the leaves and roots of this poisonous succulent.

If your pet has come into contact with or eaten any part of a jade plant, whether it was by an accident or not, watch for signs such as excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, incoordination, and a loss of appetite.

In a situation where your pet has ingested any part of the jade plant, you should seek veterinary care as soon as possible because this can be severe.

Your veterinarian will likely induce vomiting to eliminate ingestion and then stabilize your pet with fluids and other treatments. An IV might be necessary if your pet has a loss of appetite or is vomiting or diarrhea persistently.

The skin rashes and allergies that are common in humans may not occur as often in animals, but it is still worth monitoring for any signs of irritation such as redness, swelling, or persistent itching after contact with the plant.

How Poisonous Is The Jade Plant?

The jade plant is toxic to cats and dogs, but not typically for humans. In some cases, the leaves have been known to cause reactions in people who are sensitive or allergic, so it’s best to be careful when handling them if you know your skin is susceptible. Always wash your hands after touching any part of this houseplant.

Pets that are More Vulnerable to the Jade Plants

Many common houseplants are dangerous to pets. These include the jade plant, which is toxic if ingested in large quantities. Jade plants produce an oil that may be harmful when consumed by dogs and cats.

If you have a pet, it is important that you ask yourself if they are curious or mischievous enough to nibble on your flourishing houseplants before planting them in an area where they can be easily reached by your furry friends. If so, make sure these particular types of plants are placed out of reach or you may find your pet’s health suffering.

Animals that have a low tolerance for toxins, such as birds and reptiles, should not be exposed to the jade plant at all. However, if they do come in contact with it, they must immediately be taken to an avian veterinarian because their system will be more sensitive to the oils.

Maintaining a jade plant in your home is as simple as watering it and connecting with nature through its beauty, but if you have pets that may be interested in sampling some greenery, make sure they can’t get their paws on any of these plants. Otherwise, they could end up consuming toxic oils and suffering from vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, or even seizures.

How Poisonous Are Jade Plants To Birds?

The jade plant is pretty poisonous to birds. Some of the symptoms that birds show are vomiting, become depressed and aggressive when exposed to a large amount of the toxic sap found in this plant. This may lead to shock or inability to fly.

If you have a jade plant in your home that is near your bird feeder, it is advisable to move the feeder at least 15 feet away from the plant. This will help ensure your bird has enough space in order not to get sick or have attacks on its health, as well as give you peace of mind knowing that you are keeping your pet safe and healthy.

How to keep jade plants away from pets?

Keep your pets away from your plants by placing them on high shelves or planting them near windows where you don’t mind letting your pets outside to use the bathroom. You can also take the following precautions to make sure your plants stay safe:

  • Place jade plants in a room where you don’t mind pets entering occasionally.
  • Avoid putting too many toxic plants in one area, especially if it’s near a window or door.
  • Put plants on high shelves and tables so pets can’t reach them or make sure you keep all plant food out of their reach.
  • Invest in a cat tree if your pet spends time lounging around the house because they are less likely to be interested in climbing up to find greenery when they have it readily available.
  • Keep all plants away from the litter box, food, and water dishes so your cat doesn’t find an alternative source of nutrients that is also potentially toxic to them.
  • Install childproof locks on any doors leading into rooms where you have potted plants if you live in a home with children who are prone to exploring new areas.


We hope that we have provided you some insight into how poisonous jade plants are to dogs, cats, and other pets in general. If you have a pet, it’s important that you’re aware of the potential hazards they may face if they come into contact with this type of plant. Thankfully, there are many things we can do to protect them from these types of accidents.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *